- $7,035.57 = How much it costs to travel around the world through nine countries over five and a half months
- Revisited: How to pack for an independent traveler with no set return date
- A glimpse in the thoughts of Bolod Namkhai Mukhadi
- Beijing to Ulaanbataar Mongolia: The nitty gritty of independent travel
- How to get Chinese and Russian visas as a United States citizen: My experience
- Writing assignment: "Inside The Candelaria Festival of Puno, Peru"
- Marathon hitchhiking: Southern Mexico to Michigan in 7 days over 3,400 mi
- Mango Surprise: Being the victim of a random, delicious act of kindness
- Legendary Vagabonder Rolf Potts with priceless advice on travel
- Fire juggler in San Pedro de la Laguna, Lago Atitlan, Guatemala
- Romania: WWOOFing in Transylvania and back to the US
- Bulgaria: Nice cities, tipped off about an isolated beach, and getting perspective from a prostitute's cigarette burns
- Istanbul, and a few tips on curing impotency from the Hittites
- Giant carved heads, incredible valleys, camping on the Mediterranean, and a heavy dose of Roman ruins
- Lessons from a Kurdish-Swede rapper about Kurdistan, and finally getting my hands on an AK-47
A glimpse in the thoughts of Kathy Cole
Written by Tyler Cole | 14 January 2010
All trips start somewhere, and while prepping to leave for South America I'm staying at my parents' house for a few days. As a trial run, I thought a good first "A glimpse in the thoughts of..." would be my dear mom (a longer explanation of "A glimpse in the thoughts of..." is here). She is inextricably linked with my childhood associations of "home", and she was readily available. I threw a few questions her way, and here's what she said...
What is the most important thing in your life?
My sons and husband are the most important things in my life.
If there was one thing you had to do before you die, what would it be?
I'd like to get a good night's sleep and be a grandmother.
Short and sweet, just like my mom. Hopefully this will be the first in a long line of these. Again, a better explanation of what I'm trying to do is here.