- $7,035.57 = How much it costs to travel around the world through nine countries over five and a half months
- Revisited: How to pack for an independent traveler with no set return date
- A glimpse in the thoughts of Bolod Namkhai Mukhadi
- Beijing to Ulaanbataar Mongolia: The nitty gritty of independent travel
- How to get Chinese and Russian visas as a United States citizen: My experience
- Writing assignment: "Inside The Candelaria Festival of Puno, Peru"
- Marathon hitchhiking: Southern Mexico to Michigan in 7 days over 3,400 mi
- Mango Surprise: Being the victim of a random, delicious act of kindness
- Legendary Vagabonder Rolf Potts with priceless advice on travel
- Fire juggler in San Pedro de la Laguna, Lago Atitlan, Guatemala
- Romania: WWOOFing in Transylvania and back to the US
- Bulgaria: Nice cities, tipped off about an isolated beach, and getting perspective from a prostitute's cigarette burns
- Istanbul, and a few tips on curing impotency from the Hittites
- Giant carved heads, incredible valleys, camping on the Mediterranean, and a heavy dose of Roman ruins
- Lessons from a Kurdish-Swede rapper about Kurdistan, and finally getting my hands on an AK-47
A note on 'A glimpse in the thoughts of...'
Written by Tyler Cole | 15 January 2010
"A glimpse in the thoughts of..." is my attempt to paint a picture of the people that I meet as I'm traveling. I always enjoy hearing about the characters that others come across on the road, as well as telling people about cool people I meet; this tries to keep a record of those individuals' voices and adds a visual component to put a face to the story. The concept is this: a few questions are presented that aren't questions you would normally ask people (a la "If you could kiss anyone, who would it be and why?"), I take a picture of the person, and I post the responses, with permission of course. The hope is to elicit some interesting replies that give a look into how people from different parts of the world respond to these questions.
This may end up being not particularly interesting, but I am going to give it shot. For a few examples, I did a profile on my mom, my host in the Peruvian countryside, a doctor that helped me ton in Puno, Peru, and my Couchsurfing host when I was in Barranquilla, Colombia.
That said, I need help with the questions. Leave a comment with an interesting question! (Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.)